R3 – Renewal, Resilience and Retention of Maryland Nurses Initiative
Nurses are resilient, and we want to keep them that way! What’s also true is that whether called burnout, moral distress or simply stress, there’s not a CEO, CNO or SON Dean who doesn’t worry about it nor is there a faculty member, student or frontline nurse who hasn’t seen or experienced it first-hand.
Thanks to an NSP II grant our goal is to renew, retain and amplify the resilience of nurses throughout Maryland - students, educators and nurses in all specialties and roles through a culture of ethical practice.
The NSP II grant will support us in developing and implementing a statewide initiative for academic faculty, nursing students, Nurse Residency Program educators, and novice nurses to strengthen the resiliency curriculum before and after graduation. This trans-institutional academic/practice collaboration will address root causes of burnout and disengagement to improve well-being, strengthen the bridge from education to practice, and increase retention. Collaboratively with national and state stakeholders, universities and hospitals in Maryland, we will create statewide communities of practice to share best practices and to sustain their dissemination and optimization. R3 will impact 1500+ faculty, students, NRP educators and novice nurses with skills and organizational strategies that reduce burnout, improve resilience, wellbeing and job sustainability, and that forge healthy, ethical workplaces.
This is an inclusive, collaborative learning lab where some of the most ground-breaking, innovative and impactful models of resilience will be shared. Throughout this site you will find best practices, research, papers, and insights to pave the way for the culture of ethical practice nurses throughout Maryland need to flourish. Please join us - we want you in it with us!
R3 State-wide Conference: Keeping Maryland Nurses Resilient
April 20, 2022, 10:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Mt. Washington Conference Center
Nurses are resilient and we want to keep them this way. Challenged by the demands of the pandemic and a myriad of other factors, staying resilient and “on the job” has been harder than ever. The R3 Resilient Nurses Initiative of Maryland is sharing tools and resources with educators, nursing students and nurses in all roles and specialties to meet the challenges in healthcare today with resilience and integrity. As a community, we will work together to renew our wellbeing and improve working conditions and learning environments.
Objectives for this conference:
• Understand the state of resilience across the state
• Share across the state the tools and resources R3 has developed to help keep nurses resilient
• Create communities of learning to deploy strategies, materials, and insights across the state
• Highlight the work of the R3 Champions that is advancing (or working to advance) resilience and integrity in their professional settings
• Start to shift the mindset and narrative of resilience from one of depletion to one of empowered commitment that authentically and actively supports their resilience
Overview of the conference:
• Share an environmental scan of the state of resilience in Maryland
• An overview of the goals, strategies and deliverables will be disseminated
• Round table conversations will engage participants to develop strategies that integrate R3 tools and resources into curricula across the state by learning what’s worked in various settings and the adjustments that are necessary
• A panel of Champions will share their insights about resilience, their successes, and insights about the R3 resources
• Breakout groups will consider what a positive mindset toward a resilient environment looks like and identify the core components of an aligned narrative
• Breakout sessions to experience one or two of the modules developed by the R3 team
Continuing Nursing Education
This program is currently under review for CNE approval.
Invitation to the R3 Statewide Conference
Maryland R3 Call for Infographics: Sharing Nurses' Resilience Contest
Report is below and also on social media outlets:
Mind the Gap Report: Preparing Nurses to Practice with Resilience & Integrity:
Blog: Mind The Gap: Preparing Nurses to Practice with Resilience and Integrity
YouTube: Mind The Gap: Preparing Nurses to Practice with Resilience & Integrity