New Nursing Faculty Fellowships Information
The Nurse Support Program II provides funding for New Nursing Faculty Fellowships to faculty newly hired to expand Maryland’s nursing programs. Maryland institutions with nursing degree programs may nominate an unlimited number of newly hired full-time, tenured, tenure-track or non-tenured faculty members for fellowships. Individuals who are offered a full-time, long-term contract to serve as clinical-track nursing faculty also may be eligible. These fellowships will assist Maryland nursing programs in recruiting and retaining new nursing faculty to produce the additional nursing graduates required by Maryland’s hospitals and health systems.
Awards: Funding will be provided to higher education institutions for distribution to their recipients of the New Nursing Faculty Fellowships. The maximum amount of the fellowships will be $50,000, with $10,000 distributed the first year and $10,000 in each of the next four years, assuming continuous employment as faculty in good standing and the availability of funding. The awards may be used to assist new nursing faculty with professional expenses, such as professional development, loan repayment, and other relevant expenses. These funds are salary supplements and must not replace any portion of the nursing faculty fellow’s regular salary.
Eligibility: Nominees should have an appropriate graduate degree and must be either employed in or offered a full-time, tenured, tenure-track or non-tenured nursing faculty position, as certified by the Dean or Director. Clinical-track faculty who have been offered or are newly hired in a long-term contract to serve as full-time nursing faculty at an institution of higher education are also eligible. To be eligible, nominees must have been offered employment after July 1, 2019 and must begin employment by the Fall semester 2020. Those who have received this award in a prior year at a different college or university are not eligible- without extenuating circumstances and agreement of the nursing leadership from both former and current programs, for a transfer or relocation of newly hired faculty within a Maryland nursing program.
Nomination Process: Nominations are to be made by the Dean or Director of Nursing, who will identify qualified candidates. By August 31, 2020, all required information must be submitted to the Maryland Higher Education Commission. This includes, but is not limited to:
• The name and current curriculum vitae for each faculty being nominated for the New Nursing Faculty Fellowship Program;
• Verification of the date of hire or a statement certifying intention to hire the person;
• Anticipated title and discipline(s) of employment;
• Description of the job functions to be performed by the nominated faculty; and
• A narrative that substantiates that each nominated faculty position (1) will increase the enrollment capacity of the institution’s nursing degree programs and (2) was historically the type of position that was difficult to fill. The narrative should identify the extent to which nursing enrollments will expand as a result of the position.
The number of nominations is unlimited, but nominations should be submitted in priority order. Nominations for New Nursing Faculty Fellowships for the academic year 2020-2021 will be accepted until August 31, 2020, with awards announced by November 1, 2020.
Selection Method: A selection panel will review all nominations that are submitted. Priority will be given to new nursing faculty positions that historically have been difficult to fill and to campus priority order. The number of awards will be dependent upon the number of nominations and the availability of funding.
Allowable uses of funds:
• To assist with graduate education expenses, such as tuition and loan repayment
• To pay for any activities for professional development and continuing education to maintain credentials
• To pay for conference fees, travel, hotels, food, and expenses for speaking engagements
• To pay expenses related to dissertation research or capstones, including research assistants, statistical services, travel, and other fees to expedite completion of degrees
• To pay for licensure and certifications fees in their educator and clinical specialty
• To pay for computer/laptop, research instruments, statistical and other software
• To pay for subscriptions to professional journals and books
• To pay professional dues
• To conduct research and publish work in peer-reviewed journals
• To supplement the fellow’s salary.
• Any expense that meets the reasonable person criteria for any expense to further a nurse faculty’s career
Funds are available to awardees at the discretion of the higher education institution up to 5 years and as long as the faculty member remains full-time.
Nominations must be postmarked by August 31, 2020 to:
Maryland Higher Education Commission
Office of Outreach and Grants Management
Attention: New Nursing Faculty Fellowships
6 N. Liberty Street, 10th Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Click on link for information on the Maryland Student Loan Repayment Tax Credit.