Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) Preceptor Development Education
The APRN (NP, CNS, CRNA, CNM) Preceptor Development Program consists of seven online education modules which focus on preceptor roles and responsibilities, student learning styles, clinical teaching, critical thinking facilitation, cultural awareness and effective communication. To complete the program, a simulation session provides an opportunity for the APRN to apply skills learned in the online modules with coaching from the facilitators, group interactions with standardized participants, and time for discussions and reflection. APRNs can receive 11 Continuing Education (CE) contact hours or Class A CE credits upon completion.
This program is free to Maryland APRNs and APRNs working with students and new nurses in nursing programs, hospitals and health systems. Sessions are offered online throughout the year. Register here for the APRN Preceptor Development Program.
Maryland Tax Credit for Preceptors
The Preceptor Tax Credit Program is from Senate Bill 411 / House Bill 1474 (Chapters 385 and 386, respectively), 2016 Legislative Session. The Program is administered through the Department of Health (MDH) under the following Authority: Tax–General Article, §§10–738 and 10–739; Education Article, §18–803(b)(1) and (2), (e)(2) and (3); and Health Occupations Article, §8–206(b), Annotated Code of Maryland.
- Nurse Practitioners (NPs) who provide preceptorship without compensation in an organized system of clinical experience for the purpose of attaining specified learning objectives.
- Act as a preceptor for a minimum of three rotations each consisting of 100 hours (a total of 300 hours within a taxable year) for nurse practitioner students.
- Practice location in a health care workforce shortage area.
- The credit certificate will be issued by MDH in the amount of $1000 for each student whom the Nurse Practitioner acted as a preceptor without compensation.
- The tax credit amount for individual preceptor for any taxable year may not exceed $10,000
- American Association of Critical Care Nurses
- American Nurses Association
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- American Nurses Credentialing Center
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties Preceptor Portal
- Pediatric Nursing Certification Board