New Nursing Faculty Fellowships Information
Fiscal Year 2020 Awards
The Nurse Support Program II provides funding for New Nursing Faculty Fellowships to faculty newly hired to expand Maryland’s nursing programs. Maryland institutions with nursing degree programs may nominate an unlimited number of newly hired full-time, tenured or tenure-track faculty members for fellowships. Individuals who are offered a full-time, long-term contract to serve as clinical-track nursing faculty also may be eligible. These fellowships will assist Maryland nursing programs in recruiting and retaining new nursing faculty to produce the additional nursing graduates required by Maryland’s hospitals.
Awards: Funding will be provided to higher education institutions for distribution to their recipients of the New Nursing Faculty Fellowships. The maximum amount of the fellowships will be $20,000, with $10,000 distributed the first year and $5,000 in each of the next two years, assuming continuous employment as faculty in good standing and the availability of funding. The awards may be used to assist new nursing faculty with professional expenses, such as professional development, loan repayment, and other relevant expenses. These funds are salary supplements and must not replace any portion of the nursing faculty fellow’s regular salary. Funds may also be used as signing bonuses but must nonetheless be disbursed over three years, assuming continuous employment in good standing.
Eligibility: Nominees should have an appropriate graduate degree and must be either employed in or offered a full-time, tenured or tenure-track nursing faculty position, as certified by the Dean or Director. Clinical-track faculty who have been offered or are newly hired in a long-term contract to serve as full-time nursing faculty at an institution of higher education are also eligible. To be eligible, nominees must have been offered employment after July 1, 2018 and must begin employment by the Fall semester 2019. Those who have received this award in a prior year at a different college or university are not eligible- without extenuating circumstances and agreement of the nursing leadership from both former and current programs, for a transfer or relocation of newly hired faculty within a Maryland nursing program.
Nomination Process: Nominations are to be made by the Dean or Director of Nursing, who will identify qualified candidates. By August 30, 2019, all required information must be submitted to the Maryland Higher Education Commission. This includes, but is not limited to:
• The name and current curriculum vitae for each faculty being nominated for the New Nursing Faculty Fellowship Program;
• Verification of the date of hire or a statement certifying intention to hire the person;
• Anticipated title and discipline(s) of employment;
• Description of the job functions to be performed by the nominated faculty; and
• A narrative that substantiates that each nominated faculty position (1) will increase the enrollment capacity of the institution’s nursing degree programs and (2) was historically the type of position that was difficult to fill. The narrative should identify the extent to which nursing enrollments will expand as a result of the position.
The number of nominations is unlimited, but nominations should be submitted in priority order. Nominations for New Nursing Faculty Fellowships for the academic year 2019-2020 will be accepted until August 30, 2019, with awards announced by November 1, 2019.
Selection Method: A selection panel will review all nominations that are submitted. Priority will be given to new nursing faculty positions that historically have been difficult to fill and to campus priority order. The number of awards will be dependent upon the number of nominations and the availability of funding.
Allowable uses of funds:
• To supplement the fellow’s salary;
• To pay for activities for professional development, including conference fees and travel, expenses for speaking engagements;
• To pay professional dues; and
• To assist with graduate education expenses, such as loan repayment.
Nomination Form: NNFF Nominee Information Form
Nominations must be postmarked by August 30, 2019 to:
Maryland Higher Education Commission
Office of Outreach and Grants Management
Attention: New Nursing Faculty Fellowships
6 N. Liberty Street, 10th Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Under provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the material is available in alternate formats. Please call (410) 260-4585, (800) 974-1024, or (800) 735-2258 (TTY /Voice).