Nursing Educator Doctoral Grants (NEDG) for Practice and Dissertation Research
The Nurse Support Program II provides funding for Nurse Educator Doctoral Grants for Practice and Dissertation Research (NEDG) to nurse faculty at Maryland’s nursing programs who are currently enrolled in or who have recently completed a doctoral degree. Maryland institutions with nursing degree programs may nominate an unlimited number of existing faculty pursuing doctoral degrees within the final two years of a program of study.
Award Amounts: Awards will range from $5,000 to $30,000, contingent upon enrollment status, other funding sources and statewide nursing program faculty shortages. Funds for multi-year awards will be disbursed annually contingent upon satisfactory progress toward dissertation or capstone project, and degree completion.
Eligibility: Nursing students currently enrolled in Ph.D, Ed.D. or DNP programs who are engaged in or about to engage in the dissertation or capstone project in the 2017-2019 academic year. Current faculty who are enrolled in part-time or full-time doctoral study are eligible, as are full-time or other part-time doctoral students, including recent doctoral graduates as of May 1, 2016 and later, who are currently serving as a faculty member. Individuals with current teaching contracts at a school of nursing in Maryland, including those who live outside Maryland, and/or are completing an out-of-state doctoral program, are eligible for this award.
Nomination Process: Nominations are to be made by the Dean or Director of Nursing, who will identify qualified candidates. This includes, but is not limited to:
• The completed nomination form and budget template that includes a description of existing support and budgetary needs.
• Letter of support by the Dean or Director, and the Faculty advisor if different.
• A three- to five-page paper outlining the nominee’s scholarly work and intent to teach
• A proposed timeline for doctoral degree completion with plan of study
• A certified transcript provided by the nominee
• Nominee’s current curriculum vitae with active nursing license.
Allowable uses of funds:
• To pay for activities for professional development, including conference fees and travel, expenses for speaking engagements;
• To pay expenses related to dissertation research or capstones
• To pay professional dues; and
• To assist with graduate education expenses, such as loan repayment.
The nominee must be willing and committed to serve as a full-time faculty member in a Maryland nursing program one year for each year of award.
Budget Template (required)
Nominations must be postmarked by September 30, 2017 to:
Maryland Higher Education Commission
Office of Outreach and Grants Management
Attention: NSP II Nurse Educator Doctoral Grants
6 N. Liberty Street, 10th Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21201